Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Installing Carpet on a Concrete Slab

On Mar 9, 8:35*am, wrote:
I am having carpet installed on the concrete floor of a garage
conversion. *I don't think moisture is a problem but the concrete
floor is always colder than the rest of the house. *Should I have the
installer put down a vapor barrier before the pad and carpet are
installed? *Is it is better to have it installed on a 75 degree day or
a 45 degree day? *I will have both in the coming week. *He is also
gong to try and nail the tack strips down but may have to glue them
down if nailing is unsuccessful. *Are there any long term problems/
failures with gluing down the tack strips? *I've heard from other
people that it would void the warranty on the carpet if the the tack
strips are glued down.

Wash it, etch it, then seal it with a concrete waterproofer. Using a
vapor barrier after that is ok, but using a vapor barrier alone will
cause moisture to condense between the vapor barrier and the top of
the slab. Mold will form there. If you use a concrete water sealer
the moisture will stay in the slab itself where you want it to stay.