Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default New battery for UPS

Charles wrote:

My UPS is now 7 years old and I suppose it is time to replace the lead-acid
battery.

My manual, which is now lost, mentioned NOT attempting this.

Any tips from folks who have done this?

If it is that old you may have to pry it out of the chassis. They
tend to swell over the years and some designs are so tight that it is
difficult to remove before the batter fails. You didn't state the brand
or model. Enter them into a search engine with replacement battry and
you will find dozens of vendors. Don't bother searching with your
state, because every one of them list all 50 states in their meta tags.
Interstate Batteries
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...t_info/ups.asp
is on national chain that has warehouses all over the country, and a lot
of RV dealers carry the brand. They are hungry right now, and should be
happy to place a special order. I have a local tire dealer who will
order them for me at his costs, if I prepay, and include the sales tax
so I can refurbish supplies for my 'Computers For Veterans' project.
Make sure the battery you buy has the right terminals. UPS batteries
generally use 1/4" Faston connectors, while the identcal battery has
3/16" Faston connectors when sold for other uses.

Another source is E-bay, if you are pinching pennies.

BTW, I have found manuals for most UPS i've worked on availible
online by searchining brand + model + manual.

For larger home or small office UPS systems, the portable jumpstart
batteries are around 17 AH and the entire unit can be had for about $40
when Harbor Freigh has them on sale.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...tart&Submit=Go

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.