Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default wire tracer

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
I plan to buy a homeowner quality wire tracer. I see many available in
the $30 price range. Any particular brands or features to look for or
are they all pretty much the same? Any substantial reason to spend
more?

Immediate use will be to trace de-energized AC wiring to see whether I
can restore operation to a few old outdoor lighting fixtures.

I've got one of these. Works like you think it should.

A useful gadget, but probably not exactly what I need for this
particular application.

It doesn't work if the hot is dead. But if the neutral is connected you
can kludge a hot from somewhere else and use the neutral on the circuit
you are tracing. If you know the correct neutral at the panel (or in
between)it may help you find the hot.

In the 'good old days' I used a cheap flasher and 150W light bulb as a
"transmitter" and a clamp-on ammeter as a "receiver".

--
bud--