Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JoanD'arcRoast JoanD'arcRoast is offline

Default Healing Cracked bowls

In article , Gerald Ross
wrote:

Some time ago I saw a message here about soaking cracked bowls in a
mixture of glue & water. Of the 60+ bowls I roughed out in Jan & Feb,
5 developed cracks of varying degrees. As an experiment I mixed 1/3
white glue to 2/3 water and soaked them for 3 to 4 days. Three large
sweetgum bowls showed no improvement, but I had no covered container
large enough to completely submerge them so used plastic bags and it
is iffy that they were wet all over the whole time.

Two sassafras bowls about 10 inches were soaked in a covered plastic
container with a piece of brick to hold them under the surface. One
showed no improvement and the last one was completely healed. I cannot
even find where the crack was, and it extended from the rim down to
the dovetail on the base. The cracks on both were open about 1/8 inch
at the rim.

So with a good test on two bowls I got 50% healing of the cracks.
Anyone else trying this method?

My results are about the same as yours. It works sometimes. Sort of a
stay of execution before it hits the fire wood pile. Kinda hard to keep
slimy microbes from growing in it, ain't it?

-j