Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical Breaker and dust collector question

jtpr wrote:
I bought one of those vac switches at Woodcraft the other day. This
is the thing you plug your DC into and then a tool. When you power on
the tool, the DC comes on. This works fine with my sander, mitre saw,
router, etc. But when I use the TS the breaker pops. ...

The easiest fix is to return the one you bought for the remote starting
switch...

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...s=5855&pcs=fam

Alternatively, find one of the plug-in types similar to what you have
but that has a start delay built in as well as stopping to eliminate the
simultaneous starting surge or one that senses motor current from one
circuit but allows the tool to be on another. If the one you have plugs
into the saw outlet and the tool to be controlled plugs into it, it
would be more difficult to modify. There are just current sensors w/
start relays that serve the other function.

My only recommendation on breaker changeout would be that should have
run 30A service for shop circuit instead of 20A, but by Code that would
be 10ga, not 12ga.

A longer time-delay is probably possible to find, but I'd venture it
might be more expensive than the remote start option above.