Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default Laboratory Bench tops

"Gus" wrote in message
Odd question he

I recently acquired several pieces of chem lab benchtop material from
a Freecycle board, with the idea of using them for -- something.

The question is, what are these slabs made out of? They are extremely
heavy and quite flat.

So far as I can determine, they are made of some sort of resin
material.

Does anyone know if this material can be cut and shaped with regular
woodworking tools?

Do I need a water-cooled cutoff saw?

Should I throw them in the river?

Start my own chem lab?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Are they green? Traditional lab tops were made of soapstone. If so, it
would be slightly slippery to the touch. It has been awhile since I have
seen this stuff, but it was commonly used for sinks, etc in early america.
And if I recall, it could be worked much like wood.

All the labtops in my high school were made from soapstone. One of its
qualities is that it does not react with most chemicals.