Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Dial Bore Gauge

wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:40 am, wrote:

I've had a Fowler 0.0001" 2" to 6" "Extender" digital bore gauge for
several years, but really have not gotten much use from it as I only
have a half dozen or so ring standards to set it. I really need a
setting gauge or a lot more gauge rings, which would take up a lot of
space. Fowler has a setter jig, but it's about $2500. I see used
Sunnen gauge setters for sale on ebay from time to time in the $500
range, but I'm not sure they will work with the Fowler....anyone know
if this will work?

If it's the one I've seen in the ads, it's only got two diametrical
contact points, not three, so either a set of gage blocks with ends or
even a good mike could be used for setup. Rings are really only
needed if you've got three contact points. I've got a few bore gauges
like that. Hope you've got a temp-controlled lab if you're expecting
good tenths measurements.

Stan

Depending on the tol. you are working to, bearing races make a good
gauge to set your bore gauge. You have to check the spec for the bearing.

John