Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Supplying gas to a small steam boiler

wrote in message
On Mar 9, 2:05 pm, PaulS wrote:
Hello Steamers,

Can anyone suggest a way to supply a small model steam plant with
propane to fire it? The 3/16"-dia copper inlet tube for the gas to
the boiler has both an on/off valve, and a proportioning valve to
control the flow. My question relates to how to best feed the propane
from a small Bernzomatic-type cylinder to the tube. Will i need a gas
regulator? Can I adapt a Bernzomatic torch head in some way? How have
you seen it done?

This is for a small model steam plant that includes a horizontal
boiler and a 4-cylinder steam engine that i inherited from my Father
who made it in the 1970's and I want to get it running again. I have
it currently running on compressed air up to 80psi with no problems or
leaks, yet.

Thanks for any help.

PaulS

Check out Live Steam magazine, I'm sure those folks do this all the
time. The British magazine Model Engineer also has had propane firing
in the past, some of the larger US libraries subscribed and have back
issues. Big on live steam locomotives and tractors. One approach
I've seen for moving models was to cut down the regular Bernzomatic-
style tanks to half-size or less. Burners were more or less home-made
affairs, you'd have to see the articles.

Stan

for a regulator, just look around. Lots of scrap barbeques go to the dumps.