Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Installing Carpet on a Concrete Slab

wrote in message
I am having carpet installed on the concrete floor of a garage
conversion. I don't think moisture is a problem but the concrete
floor is always colder than the rest of the house. Should I have the
installer put down a vapor barrier before the pad and carpet are
installed? Is it is better to have it installed on a 75 degree day or
a 45 degree day? I will have both in the coming week. He is also
gong to try and nail the tack strips down but may have to glue them
down if nailing is unsuccessful. Are there any long term problems/
failures with gluing down the tack strips? I've heard from other
people that it would void the warranty on the carpet if the the tack
strips are glued down.

We closed in a porch (concrete slab) and installed carpet. But I was
concerned that snow melt could get under the walls or the cold concrete
might condense moisture so I had the contractor put down the 2ft by 2ft
interlocking wood panels first. These have a plastic moisture barrier with
slight projections that keep the wood about a quarter inch off the concrete.
I'm pleased with this as it feels as if I'm walking on a regular carpeted
sub floor in a house. Floor is much warmer, too. Never did like carpet
directly on concrete as that is what we lived with in Arizona (houses on
slab construction). Can't remember the name of the panels but we got them
at Menard's and I've seen them advertised at other big box stores.

Tom G.