Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default Air compressor fittings and hose

I understand the hose being male/female point, it makes sense. So I
will keep the compressor outlet female push-in 1/4". Then make a
hose one end male (to go with the compressor end) and the other end
female, to be ready for male ended tools, then make another double
ended male/male push fitting in case a female push in tool.

There are two types of female fittings. The one I've seen permanently
attached to tanks is spring loaded in the open position. You can
connect the hose with one hand just by pushing. The one usually found
on the end of a hose is spring-loaded in the closed position. You have
to pull back with one hand while attaching the fitting with the other.

I've never seen a female connector on a tool. Besides, you can change
them yourself. Skip the male/male unless you need it.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement