Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Skill with a Skill

CC wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
"DGDevin" wrote

That shows he left home early in case there was a traffic delay on
the way, it demonstrates a commitment to the job that is often
lacking in those who allow just barely enough time to get there a
minute before starting time. It ain't the single most important
quality in a worker, but things like that tend to be part of a
pattern.

Very will put!

--

I've always showed up for work 20 minutes early, I started with the
Bell System

That's a great trait

and was a union member from the first moment I was allowed to join
until I retired

I'm impressed, from what I've seen, union membership often sucks the
initiative right out of motivated workers.

.... snip I get to the doctors office early too. I hate being
late, just ruins my day

I'll do that the first time or so. If the doctor or other professional
keeps *me* waiting more than 10 or 15 minutes, I take that into account for
future visits and am not quite so fussy about getting there on time. I'll
allow for a bad day the first time this happens, but after the second time
in a row, I take this as an attitude on the part of the office that
clients' time is cheap while their time is valuable, so making the client
wait is the way to keep the office humming properly. I am also a
professional and my time is valuable as well -- if they don't value *my*
time as much as they expect me to value theirs, I get a bit snippy about
that and am likely to start factoring in the standard office delay when
timing my future visits.

I see the younger guys drive up and park just as they were opening the
doors to the shop
and wonder how they could live with that. Guess new values, or is it
lack of pride in self and
work ethics

Working as a non-hourly employee, I can't directly relate to that. I've
always put in more than a regular day, so start and stop times are a bit
fuzzy. When one's regular shift is 9 hours and one normally works 10+
hours, I'm not sure how to count "showing up on time" except in the sense
of making sure one makes scheduled meetings on time.

CC
CC