Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default I need some springy steel rods...

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:33:42 -0700 (PDT), Dar
wrote:

'normal' (I don't recall the alloy I already have, probably 300
series, whatever was cheap) stainless , unhardened, round rods around
3/16" thick and 6' long , just don't hold the weight I need them to,
without bending. I checked in McMaster and MSC but didn't find
prehardened rods ,or spring steel rods. Any suggestions as to where to
look?. I'd be open to some alloy that I could torch harden a bit, if
such a thing is practical . Don't want one breaking and dropping one
of my beauties to the ground !. I suppose such rod is sold somewhere
in large coils but I don't need much (or do I?) .

Thanks,
Dar
www.sheltech.net

McMaster has .162 dia spring tempered SS wire in 1, 5 & 10 pound
coils. See pp. 3673 & 3674.

--
Ned Simmons