Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Air compressor fittings and hose

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
In anticipation that I would need to be doing some nailing and stapling I
got a used air compressor.

It is a CAMPBELL HAUSFIELD 13 gallons 4 HP. Now I am trying to figure out
about the fittings I need.

It seems most air tool comes in a male 1/4" push in fitting. So it seems
may be the most versatile way to configure a hose is to have a hose that
has a female push in fittings on both ends. One end will just connect to
the tool, the other end connects to the compressor.

On the compressor I think I will thread in a male push in fittings, then
it will always connect with my hose. Does that sound reasonable or is
there a better way to go?

Now on to a few questions.

The threaded fittings I noticed thread seals are used. Is this basically
the same thing as the teflon tape used by plumbers? I have those but not
sure if they are identical. Or is it better to use pipe dope?

What size hose is best? 1/4"? 3/8"? I will have 1/4" fittings. I
assume I cannot use those coiled up thin hoses? Those are for blow guns
or tire inflators? I don't think those can drive a nail gun, or can they?

The guy I bought the compressor from, never drained the compressor. I
read the users guide and the first thing I did was to drain the
compressor. A lot of brown fluid came out. Does it mean the compressor
is badly corroded? I don't know how old the unit is. The model is
wl604004aj. It seems the drain screw is also partly corroded, very hard
to turn.

Thanks,

MC

One more question. I noticed some compressor has a shut off ball valve on
the outlet. Is this a good idea? I can control the flow via the regulator
what is the purpose of an additional shut off? Just insurance?

MC