Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rebel rebel is offline

Default Inverter microwave ovens - reliable?

On 08 Mar 2009 08:32:26 -0500, (Samuel M. Goldwasser) wrote:

Rick writes:

My favorite microwave oven is the Sharp "Carousel II" I pulled out of
the trash in 1994. Replaced an open fuse for about 50 cents and it's
been working fine ever since. I used that Sharp to replace a newer,
smaller model with less capacity and never regretted that decision.

It's a shame how many of the older models I've seen tossed that only
needed a fuse replacement.

Still use our Sharp "Carousel II" from around 1987 and it's never even
needed a new fuse.

Our National (aka Panasonic) Genius II from 1979 was running perfectly until a
power surge nuked it last year. Only ever needed a belt replaced. Weighed a
manly amount, about four times the weight of a contemporary unit.

I often utter that common remark "they don't make them like they used to".
Someone once said that's a sign I'm an old-timer. I replied that its a sign
that I remember how well they used to make things.