Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Skill with a Skill

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:46:04 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Framing crew on a current construction project is being run by two union
carpenters from Washington state. Both of these guys are "old school", to
say the least (it's been years since I've seen exclusively 77's on a jobsite
here in Texas, and these guys pulled seven out of the trailer, five for the
"hired help", and a "personal" 77 a piece).

Still keep my 77 greased and ready to kick ass. It's the 1911 of
jobsite saws. I regret selling my Rockwell 315, which handled a lot
of the lighter chores.

The 77 is heavy but, if you use it right, it and gravity are your
friends.

Once we got the ribbons up we flopped up the joists and eyeballed the
cuts, holding the 77 vertical and the joist resting on our boots.
Would have made an OSHA dude crazy but it was a fast way to frame up
flat work.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/