Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Small engine diagnostic help - Yamaha generator

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 22:43:58 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Ned Simmons writes:

By applying load slowly with a variac the generator ramps up and runs
fine 'til about 50% load, after which it dies.

Can you see the throttle control? By that I mean whatever opens the
throttle in response to load. It's an solonoid, I suspect....

It's a tiny stepper motor.

Is it slamming shut, or opening further to no avail?

It's hard to see working alone the way I had things set up, but I'm
pretty sure the throttle is opening and the engine fails to respond.
To be 100% sure I'll have to get someone to apply the load while I
watch the throttle. The symptoms would be consistent with the throttle
actuator responding too slowly to increasing load.

--
Ned Simmons