Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Source for 55 gallon plastic drum ?

On Mar 7, 3:38*pm, aemeijers wrote:
dpb wrote:
James wrote:
I would like to own a 55 gallon drum , preferably made of plastic. *I
want this to be able to haul *K-1 *kerosene fuel for my oil heaters. *
I *suppose I could use a metal drum but prefer the plastic as it would
be so much lighter.

As someone else noted, when it's full "not so much"...

Virtually every place has multitude of commercial locations that have
barrels routinely. *Check w/ the various food processing facilities,
etc.; most of them use almost exclusively plastic these days. *The
second-hand freight/salvage/etc. places generally have market for them;
if it's a place of any size undoubtedly there are a few individuals as
well on the Craig's list or local radio swap show, etc. *Flea markets,
etc., another good bet.

As the other poster said, you'll probably find 30 gal much more suitable
for handling.

--

I'll throw in that if OP is using kero in bulk quantities, he either
needs a farmer-style elevated tank (if legal in his area) with bulk

Why reinvent the wheel? There is proven off-the-shelf technology for
this application.

--
aem sends...

Concur with that suggestion. Take your checkbook and head down to Farm
& Fleet, Tractor Supply, any major farm supply store. Farmers handle
fuel routinely and their equipment is time proven. Another alternative
is the automotive equipment stores. Look for things like the 'Gas
Buggy" that are complete with a pump and hose. Expect to pay over $300
for one, but keep in mind your safety and health depend on not
handling hazards in foolish fashion. Good luck.

Joe