Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water proofing over pebbledash?

Adrian C wrote:
We have a nice pastel pink coloured pebbledash coating over the side of
our 1930's (solid brick - no cavity) house, and water seems to be
getting in to stain some of wallpaper inside. A bit early in diagnosis,
I need to rule off some other causes like guttering leaks and cracks in
brickwork, but as a treatment is the following expenditure generally
effective?

http://www.i-sells.co.uk/enviroseal-external-water-repellent-concentrate-ltrs-p-4048.html

To preserve the finish, I need something transparent ...

Its quite the opposite. What many people dont seem to realise is that
water content in a wall is an equilibrium between water entry and
evaporation. Waterproofing products reduce water entry, but they
reduce water evaporation even more, so the wall gradually ends up
wetter.

The standard advice a la SPAB etc is to replace cement render with
lime, which allows much more evaporation. However its best to only do
such work when the cement render can be removed without damaging the
bricks.

This is one of those topics there is much argument about. If in doubt
check out SPAB's info on the topic, or ask on the periodpropertyuk
forum.

Having said all that, obviously you need to check the rainwater goods
etc before deciding bigger work is needed.

NT