Default Laying edging stones

We are redoing the end of the garden, and right at the end will be some
gravel of some sort, then a flower bed in front of the fence. We want

some
edging stones (they generally seem to be 600mmx150x50) to seperate the
flower bed from the gravel, and was wondering the best way of laying

these.
The flower bed will probably be a couple of inches above the gravel. Do

they
really need to be set on a concrete base (the soil is quite a heavy clay
type) ? Any tips gladly received :-)

cheers

dave.

If you just lay them in a groove between the soil and gravel, they will
eventually fall towards the gravel but will be easily straightened when

that
happens. If you want a proper job that will last for a long time bed them

in
plenty of concrete.

by that do you mean a concrete base, then place and add more concrete, or
just mortar them on top of concrete?