Posted to alt.home.repair
1D1OT 1D1OT is offline

Default water seal on pressure treated wood?

"k" wrote in message
I have a new deck that has pressure treated wood. I used Thompsons
water seal on it to try to keep the new dark look of the wood instead
of it fading. The last 2 years the water seal flaked off after the
winter snow ( I live in Ontario, Canada). Do I need to seal after
each year? or will the deck fade regardless if it's sealed or not?.
Any advice would be appreciated.

It was probably dark because the moisture of the treating process hadn't had
a chance to dry. I once did a gorgeous job of finishing a self-built 12' x
4' picnic table. Sanded to a nice smooth surface, beveled edges, etc.
Several coats of spar varnish, sanded between coats. It looked like a piece
of fine furniture. That was in October. By March you couldn't tell it had
been done. Moral: LET IT DRY! That summer I sanded it again and applied 2
coats of varnish. I keep it covered over winter. It's now 8 years old and
still looks great.