Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Hot Metal

Elliot G wrote:
"tom koehler" wrote in
message net.net...
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:12:15 -0600, Ray Spinhirne wrote
(in message ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3M85ViM3GM

I'm the guy with the grey beard.

Lots of fun.

very satisfying to see what comes out of the hot sand... I worked
for a short
time in a foundry, helping pour ten 5 ton heats a night. We did not
have any
of the safety gear shown in this great video of yours. In 1972 all
we had was
heavy gloves, #12 shade half lenses to flip down over our regular
safety glasses, and a hard hat. Lost most of my sense of smell from
overexposure to
the slag fumes (I was the junior guy on the ladle crew and had to
roll the ladles over when we were done pouring - no masks available)
I then spent over
20 years as a track welder and some of my work was to pour thermite
rail welds... always satisfying to see what came out of the molds
(unless there was a blowout)

In reality their safety gear far beyond what's actually needed.

Spoken like someone who's never poured molten metal .
--
Snag
every answer