Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Vinyl flooring against ceramic tile wall in bathroom -- whatabout the gap?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
What to do about the small gap (which the flooring instructions say must
be left) where the flooring meets a ceramic-tiled wall. I'd rather not
install molding to cover the gap; how about using a mildew-resistant
caulking compound that remains flexible?

Perce

How wide is the gap? Is it even? Caulk would be my choice, same color
as the grout. In one home, we had clear silicone between wood baseboard
and flooring (tile, vinyl); it was fine except that with glossy surface
the clear was sometimes noticeable.

I put in caulk after we had some rooms tiled. Already had painted wood
baseboards and the caulk matches the baseboards. One post mentioned
problems with mildew - you should not have mildew on the floor unless
there are major ventilation or leak problems. Use painters tape when
you caulk and make sure to smooth the caulk with wet finger and it
should be fine - be extra careful with taping so caulk doesn't get under
the tape at the grout lines. Also, make sure the surfaces are
absolutely clean before caulking - a wipe with full strength bleach
beforehand should kill of any mildew that might be behind it.