Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default How to start with construction of my dream house?

"dick" tomchinmethew[at]gmail[dot]com wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to find contractors? I
have been looking online and all I have seen are sites where you have to
describe the job then wait to get called from a contractor or if I find a
directory type of site there is a limited number of contractors in my
area,
but I know there are many more. I am trying to build my first house and I
was planning on hiring all the contractors so I need a good resource to
find them. Something with reviews and article would also be very
beneficial, please let me know if anyone knows of a good place to look.

The first step is to take about 18 to 24 months off from your job. Can you
do that? If not, forget hiring all the contractors yourself. Find a
reputable builder by talking to those that have used them. Every town has a
good one and a couple of mediocre ones. Find one that is used to building
the type of house you want. Some do a great job building the small starter
homes, but don't do much high end work. Others do high end stuff and would
be putting the same skills to work an a tiny box house and you'd pay more
than needed.

There is more to building that just hiring the contractors. You must know
the steps in building so you can co-ordinate them. The guy that does the
excavation will dig the cellar hole and for footings, come back later for
backfill, later for grading. Plumbers and electricians will do rough in and
later finish work, but they may be interrupted by the tile guy or the
cabinet guy, etc. Meantime, they are all juggling two or three other jobs
that started and were interrupted just as yours will be.

In any case, if you can't be on the job the entire time, the contractors
will be gone more than working, the job will take longer and the
construction loan payments will stretch and the total cost will escalate.

It is also imperative that you know if the guy is doing a good job or not
before he gets too far along so you can either re-direct or fire him. Read
a couple of books, find someone building a house and tag along and give a
hand for real life experience.

Whatever you do, don't **** off the inspector. He can make you life hell.