Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Plating for Cast Aluminum Parts Chrome or Nickel

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Thanks again, Ed. Would you know whether nickel is significantly less
dangerous, easier or cheaper to apply to small parts on a hobby-level
scale?

Not from personal experience, but it's supposed to be easy. So is copper.
Some people here may have experience with the Caswell kits, which are very
simple and apparently very satisfactory for many things.

I kinda suspect that both would involve about the same aspects and safety
issues.

The only source of nickel I know of presently, would be rods for electric
welding cast iron, but I'm sure there would be sources of the right alloy
to use for plating.

I think it's DoN that regularly applies electroplating to some of his
small machined parts, so maybe there will be other comments regarding home
shop plating.

--
WB

Probably. Several people here have discussed it in the past.

--
Ed Huntress