Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Stainless Steel Mapp/Air torch?

On 2009-03-07, Wild_Bill wrote:
I'll offer some more description about the screw-on disposable tank-type
MAPP torch I've been using. The MAPP gas is meant to mix and burn within the
burner tube on all of them of this type that I've seen.
I know this seems weird, but the opening in the bigger mixer/burner "tip"
that I have is about 3/8" diameter. The last 2" of tube is where the
combustion begins.

[ ... ]

It should be mentioned here again, that connecting a MAPP gas tank to a
regular propane torch won't result in the same heat output as when MAPP gas
is used with a MAPP torch.

O.K. I don't have a genuine MAPP torch.

I haven't measured the temperature or heat output, but the performance is
about the same as just using propane, when using a propane torch.

Hmm ... my own experience, using the same torch, but starting
with a tank of propane, and then switching to a tank of MAPP, that I
could do small silver soldering with the MAPP, but not with the propane,
which suggests a bit more heat available from the MAPP -- whether it is
a higher flame temperature, or just better transfer of energy to the
workpiece remains to be seen. The workpiece was not surrounded by
firebrick (I don't have any, yet), and it had to be clamped in a drill
press vise, with the second part held on with some copper wire while the
silver solder flowed.

As mentioned above, the air intake holes/ports at the venturi are much
larger on a MAPP torch, suggesting that the gas/air balance is a lot
different.

It might simply be that the MAPP torch in question is designed
to burn more fuel per unit time, so it needs more air for that.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564