Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Again Phil Again is offline

Default Proper Primer on Wood before Gloss Enamel

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 22:47:38 -0800, Albert wrote:

Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints
adherred to it. Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper
primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will adhere
properly for outdoor use. Any guidance as to what "proper primer" is,
and are there different kinds of "gloss enamel" that would work better.
Thanks for any help.

Question:

Are you painting the wood, then attaching the graphic on top of the gloss
enamel? and the graphic is exposed directly to outdoor weather?

Or

Are you priming the wood, attaching the graphic then coating the wood and
graphic with a clear gloss acrylic enamel? Is the coating you are adding
exposed to the outdoor weather?

BTW: If anyone asks me about Outdoors and Enamel, my first guess will
always be Rust-O-Leum regardless of material being coated; primer and top
coat paint. I just don't see anything being adhered (attached?) to the
fully cured gloss enamel of rustoleum with out a good scratching with a
3M finishing pad. Even then, maybe, with a good quality contact cement
adhesive.

Good luck.