Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default dot matrix printer

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 00:49:32 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Appin wrote:
Until last week it was a very long time since I came across anyone who
had problems in that connection. Last week, granted, I had sent a file
which had been reduced from 10-MB to 5 MB for ease of emailing and the
recipient had problems because she had had only version 4 of Acrobat.
But then she didn't have broadband either :-). Nothing like the
problems of using Word, IME.

Makes me wonder what is so different about a document made today over one
made 15 years ago on a then competent DTP package? It's only likely to be
text and graphics so why should one be forced to upgrade just to read it?

Because Adobe want to keep their shareholders happy by constantly adding
new features to their product and be seen as "making progress", even when
their product did what 99.9% of people needed many versions ago?

Ditto most software companies TBH - even UNIX app vendors seem to be going
the bloated feature-rich monolithic application route these days.