Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Dryer ducting

On Mar 5, 10:26*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
The dryer has a duct like this: There is dryer hose at the dryer that
connects to 4" duct, which goes vertically down for about, umm 3-4 feet,
then a 90, then a run of about 20 feet. I just cleaned the ducts of quite
a bit of lint. I'm wondering if something could be put at the 90 ell, such
as a box, that would be below the horizontal run where the lint could
collect and be taken out rather than collecting in the long horizontal
run.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *| *|-vert duct
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *| *|
_________________________________________________| *|__
_________________________________________________ * * *| -- box
* * * * * * horizontal duct * * * * * * * * * * *| * * |
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|_____\ -door to collect line

Would this make sense, or would the box interfere with the flow of
exhaust? The vertical and horizontal runs are 4" metal duct.

--
charles

I wouldn't be worried about the box interfering with the flow, (even
though it might) I'd be worried that it WOULD allow lint to collect
and cause a blockage. Better to get rid of the hose and have a rigid
connection between the dryer and the pipes to help flow and remove
lint catching turns & twists. Then change the 90deg elbow to two
45deg elbows like a sweep elbow plumbers use to help drains flow
better. Finally if possible make the horizontal duct flow downhill if
you can.

The fewer hard turns the better.