Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timber for Hardwood Garden Gate

John wrote:
I need to replace a gate and want something smarter than a treated
softwood one so am looking for advice on what timber to use. I found a
picture of exactly the sort of thing that I had in mind he
http://www.the-green-oak.co.uk/pic_317.jpg
This is obviously oak, but would I use green or seasoned oak to make
something like this?
I've never made anything that would be exposed to the weather like this
- presumably I need to worry more about the expansion and contraction of
the wood. If I used 6" wide seasoned planks for the front face of the
gate is it going to expand and deform/split when it gets wet?.
Any advice greatly received or ideas of a book that might help me with this.

many thanks, John

Green wood shrinks, and shrinks more across the grain than along it.
So you'd get slight gaps if the planks aren't T&G.

NT