Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_24_] Mark[_24_] is offline

Default dot matrix printer

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 17:23:55 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Mar 5, 12:55 am, Appin wrote:
The message
from soup contains these words:

Appin wrote:
I wouldn't employ anyone who used Word, myself
Why? Surely 90%+ of all businesses use Word (blinking Bill gets
everywhere), and while Open Office (for instance)can open DOC files I
don't think Word can open ODF files. So it would seem to make sense to
send any correspondence to companies as a DOC file.
It makes sesnse to send correspondence as a PDF file with embedded fonts.

Try to send a file in the native docx format of the current version of
Word and a great many (probably most) companies will be unable to read
it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's rubbish. I have a .docx doc here
which opens just fine in Word 2003. It pops up a little dialog to warn
me some features may have been removed.

I think the reality is if you UTILIZE FEATURES OF docx then there may
be problems. For a simple doc like a CV I would anticipate very few
problems.

The best example is when people try to be clever, using hard carriage
returns and the space bar to justify text in some obscure font thy found
in their computer, send the file off and it gets rendered in times
roman..and looks a complete dog's breakfast.

I get sent lots of those. I don't think they are trying to be clever
though. I just think they don't know how to use a WP.

I still get word documents where the headers & footers are added into
the body of the text. No prizes for guessing how that looks.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org