Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Free design engineering book

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
A few days ago we were discussing _Precision Machine Design_, which is an
excellent book for people interested in machine tool and other machine
design, but which costs $100. It was written by Alexander Slocum of MIT.

Slocum teaches (among other courses) a basic mechanical engineering
design course called "Design and Manufacturing 1." To support the course
he's written a stripped-down version of _PMD_ and made it available free,
online. If you want to know about basic design engineering ideas, this is
it. It looks like it's written for Freshmen or Sophomores -- simple
language, excellent introduction of concepts, lots of first-semester
calculus. But you don't need the calculus to understand it.

You can get it he

http://pergatory.mit.edu/2.007/resou...daMENTALS.html

The notes and book are both very good, but I prefer the book. If you're
interested in the connections between theory and practice, the book is
more precise.

By "the book," do you mean _Precision Engineering Design_?

--
Ed Huntress