Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Free design engineering book

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

You can get it he

http://pergatory.mit.edu/2.007/resou...daMENTALS.html

I had read this book a while back but forgot about it. great book.

I'm giving a 10 minute talk to high school kids about the engineering
field as a possible career next week. I'm going to use the first paragraph
of the book as a quote.

"Design is a Passionate Process
Long before any design project starts, the design
engineer has to believe that there is a problem that is
worthy of their attention. The design engineer must feel
a need to solve the problem. The design engineer must
have a yearning to solve the problem. The design engineer
must be passionate about solving the problem!"

BTW, do you have any other suggestions or interesting quotes aimed at
having high schoolers consider the engineering field?

Karl

Not off the top of my head, but I know where you can find some in a book.
The title is _The Existential Pleasures of Engineering_. 'Lots of quotes,
and some good original ideas. The whole book is philosophical, so there's
plenty of material in there.

I read it around 30 years ago. Maybe you can find a copy in an
engineering-school library.

--
Ed Huntress