Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Watts dumpy level, Type SL10-4

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
OK, many thanks for the info and advice, following on your comments
regarding building books, I remembered that I had a set of "Caxton Modern
Practical Building" which I bought many years ago in a market stall for £8,
they are the 1950 3rd edition.
Although they are no longer "Modern" they still have a lot of practical
information which I've found useful in the past. So I looked up Dumpy level
and sure enough I found a chapter on surveying & levelling and how to use
the dumpy level and more importantly a section on " The causes of error in
levelling".

Thanks again

You're welcome, but I think Andy probably helped more than I did.

I have developed my own methods of setting up and adjusting surveying
instruments. They are usually very quick but can be complex.

The traditional, slow and straightforward methods suit the occasional
user best, but I have forgotten most of them, which is why I thought it
was better to suggest looking them up. It was Andy who suggested
looking them up in a building book rather than one on surveying, which
is what I had suggested.

;-)