Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

Bob Mannix wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Mannix wrote:
A note at work yesterday refers to "fora" as the plural of forum.
References are fairly united that, although "fora" is the plural of the
Latin word, the accepted plural is "forums" with "fora" as an
alternative. Which is "correct" today?
If you adopt a word into a language then generally the rules of that
language apply. Hence 'le weekend' etc. Those who wish to use the Latin
plural are simply trying to prove how clever they are.

No, to some of us it is simply the natural and correct way to proceed.

We just know that 'a phenonema' is not correct. It's 'a phenomenon'.

Eh? Of course we do - it's "a phenomenon" and "a number of phenomena" - I
don't think anyone disputes that - what was the point you were making?

Just look at the mess people get into with using data as a singular...
(rather than datum)

--
Cheers,

John.