Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Great Mystery Compaq Presario 1200XL Laptop

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/4/2009 4:46 AM Ken spake thus:

Brad wrote:

I have a Compaq Presario 1200XL laptop computer that one day, would
not power up. I tried another power supply, replaced a dead RTC/cmos
battery, etc. I removed the RTC battery, main battery, and
put it away. A month later, I decided to try it again. It powered
up! Everything seemed just fine, but it only lasted for a couple
days before it happened again. Again, I put it away. A month or so
later, it powered up and again everything seemed just fine. I
downloaded ROM Paq SP15611 and I "flashed" the bios. About a day
and 1/2 later, the laptop "died". Now it won't boot up. Again after
a long rest period, it came back to "life", but for how long? Note:
It won't power up after a week's "rest", but it will power up after
a longer rest such as a month!

If it were my computer the first thing I would do is clean the
contacts of the RAM. It sounds a lot like a bad connection and the
RAM is essential to it booting to even a bios screen for most
computers.

True, but it's hard to see how that would explain the bizarre behavior
the O.P. reported (what, do the memory chips magically unseat
themselves, then reseat themselves in the interval?).

I assume your question is since Any contact is subject to
interruption, even those using gold to prevent corrosion. Temperature
changes often are enough to move such contacts and provide an
intermittent contact. It really is not magic at all.

I cannot say definitively that this is his problem, but that is one
area I would eliminate before suspecting others. It would also be nice
to have an explanation of exactly what is happening with respect to his
failure to boot.