Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Underlayment Ring Shank Nails

Red Green wrote in
:

Never used them before.

I'm prepping the floors in a 30+ year old house for carpet. A lot of
the existing nails have worked loose and it creaks a lot. I've done a
couple of rooms and it's good and tight.

It's been a PITA though and here's why.

When the carpet company came out to measure and size up hat had to be
done I told them I will be pulling up the carpet and pad temporarily
to refasten the flooring. Told them I would be using 8d coated sinkers
to do so. Guy says using ring shank nails would be better. OK, guy is
a pro, I asked for advice so I might as well take it.

So my plan is to renail with the coated 8d's near the the existing
nails (totally removing any that are loose or popped) and use ring
shanks in between which would half the spacing. Well those damn ring
shanks ya barely tap them and if it ain't perfectly square contact
they bend. The hammer is a new Estwing. They eyes, well they've got
some wear & tear :-(

These RS nails are the underlayment type and thin if you ask me. Plus
I'm going through subfloor into joists.

Is this just a lack of experience using underlayment RS nails?

Only having a roofing and finishing nailers, I had called Harbor
Freight asking them if they had a nail gun that would shoot ring shank
nails. I get "Hold on. Let me get someone on who is familiar with nail
guns". I get 2nd person and ask same thing. Person hesitates and says
"What exactly is a ring shank nail? Is it like a clipped head or
something?" I'm like uhhh, nevermind, thanks.

Decided to go at it again with a hammer today. Went quite well actually.
Guess I just had to pay more attention to body positioning as well as
learn the nails. Zipped through a 12x14 room...move furniture, pull up
half of carper/pad, verify joist locations, nail, carpet/pad back, do
same on other side then furniture back.

Never again without a nailgun. Considering the amount I had to do (all
carpeted areas) I blew a perfect justification for one. Just wanted to
get it done vs purchase research.