Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Small nickel-iron temp probe needed

Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article t,
msg wrote:

Perhaps someone has recollections of small assemblies of resistance wire
either used for heating, in the 10 to 12 Watt (at 120 VAC) range, or
for sensing, that might come in at around 1150 ohms, so that I might
avoid a tedious winding of hair-fine wire under magnification.

Michael-

Look for a 5 or 10 watt, 1200 Ohm wire wound resistor at Radio Shack.
Perhaps its temperature coefficient would not be what you need, but it
would give you a point of reference.

I wonder if a very old wire wound resistor from someone's junk box,
would be more like what you need?

Perhaps some 'antique' wirewound resistors would have a useful R-T
characteristic; I tried some post-war types and they seem to be
somehow temp compensated and not very sensitive, but I have not by
any means exhausted the subset of potential candidates that deserve
to be tested. I assumed that the alloys used for (modern) wirewound
resistors would also be chosen to reduce temperature sensitivity.

Michael