Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Small nickel-iron temp probe needed

msg wrote:

Greetings,

I'm working up a demonstration of an antique electronic temperature
controller which needs a sensor with a PTC of about 5 to 6 ohms/degree F
average (at 20 degrees C); nickel-iron resistance wire fits the bill
fairly well, and I would like to find a coil on a low-mass substrate,
like ceramic, of roughly 1150 ohms at 20 degrees C, hopefully no more
than a few inches long (up to 5 inches is OK). I have some resistance
wire salvaged from old soldering iron heater cores, but its gauge is
a bit large such that to get 1150 ohms would require quite a lot of it
on a rather large form.

Perhaps someone has recollections of small assemblies of resistance wire
either used for heating, in the 10 to 12 Watt (at 120 VAC) range...

snip

I disassembled a wooden-handled curling iron (unknown mfg, made in USA
perhaps in the 1940s or 50s) and discovered only an eight inch length
of heater cable doubled up and crimped to twin-lead line cord.

I would very much appreciate some recollections of appliances which
contain lengths of fine-gauge resistance wire.

Regards,

Michael