Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Great Mystery Compaq Presario 1200XL Laptop

On 3/4/2009 4:46 AM Ken spake thus:

Brad wrote:

I have a Compaq Presario 1200XL laptop computer that one day, would
not power up. I tried another power supply, replaced a dead
RTC/cmos battery, etc. I removed the RTC battery, main battery, and
put it away. A month later, I decided to try it again. It powered
up! Everything seemed just fine, but it only lasted for a couple
days before it happened again. Again, I put it away. A month or so
later, it powered up and again everything seemed just fine. I
downloaded ROM Paq SP15611 and I "flashed" the bios. About a day
and 1/2 later, the laptop "died". Now it won't boot up. Again after
a long rest period, it came back to "life", but for how long? Note:
It won't power up after a week's "rest", but it will power up after
a longer rest such as a month!

If it were my computer the first thing I would do is clean the
contacts of the RAM. It sounds a lot like a bad connection and the
RAM is essential to it booting to even a bios screen for most
computers.

True, but it's hard to see how that would explain the bizarre behavior
the O.P. reported (what, do the memory chips magically unseat
themselves, then reseat themselves in the interval?).

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)