Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Which Indoor antenna is the best?

In article , Robert Macy wrote:
Apologies for being off topic, but I thought people here may know the
answer to the question "Which indoor antenna is best?" Especially,
with the upcoming change to Digital Only

I'm not talking preference here, but conclusions based upon comparison
data.

Located in the Bay Area, downtown San Jose, CA, fourth Floor, I would
expect to receive quite few stations. True for analog, Not true for
Digital.

For example, right now I have two data points:
Terk unknown model with amplifier [bowtie on its side shape]
vs Radio Shack unknown model with amplifier [rabbit ears and an
adjustable fixed radius loop in the middle]
both have variable gain.

There is a lot more than that stuff. An indoor multielement is going to give more gain
and multipath rejection. It seems lower frequency channels may be
used in HDTV, and that requirs a large multielement outside antenna to
be most efficienct. if its only UHF than the smaller antennas will work,
and a multielement is going to be superior. Most any antenna need rotated
to get the best reception. There are no true all directional antennas except
vertical.

I bought a $5 RCA UHF VHF antenna at Dollar store and works
great for local 35 mile reception. Rabbit ears and loop for me.

I would like to snoop for long range some day.

greg