Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default What is cause of miss . . .

"Bill Noble" wrote:

maybe it would be helpful to remember that Los Angeles has a lot of people
and a lot of cars, and a weather system that traps emissions - automotive
and other pollution was actually quite severe - it was literally killing
people - read articles about what it was like here before pollution controls
(the first being banning back yard incenerators in the late 50s) - there
were days when you literally could not see across the street due to
pollution - it was as bad as china (or mexico city, where birds would fal
dead out of the sky).

so it is very much NOT BS to try to make the place where we live livable -
even a rodent doesn't defecate in its own nest and we were doing worse.

As for the readers, there are a lot of barely educated people who think that
they can "fix" something - Oh, I cleared the code, the fault is fixed - of
course not only is it not fixed, but now the vehcile will fail test because
the cycle codes are not set - why does the tester check these cycle codes?
because idiots would "fix" their car by clearing the code (or removing the
MAF light bulb). testing showed, a few years ago, that about 5% of the cars
created 80 or 90 percent of the total automotive related pollution.

And, nothing prevents you from buyng a scanner in california, and a scanner,
at $14 from Harbor Freight, is so cheap that if you can't afford one, you
really can't afford to drive a car either.

I thought the I/M readyness flags were only were set if a successful drive cycle was
performed? I don't live in a state that checks emissions so I've never got really
interested in this stuff other than fixing what causes the MIL light to come on.

So, thinking logically, if a code was set, and reset, the I/M flags would not indicate
pass.

14 bucks at harbor fright? I'll tell the two guys that borrow my scanner from time to
time.

Wes