Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default PEX plumbing connection preferences

In article ,
"Len56" wrote:

Wow, get this....,

Other than buying it online at places like PEXsupply.com, I can NOT find any
places where I can buy any Uponor/Wirsbo PEX tubing (AquaPEX) or the
expander tools!

I went to the http://Uponor-USA.com website and even THEY don't say where I
can buy their products or the expander tool. All they say on their website
is that website visitors like me can request that a local installer contact
them -- no "find a dealer", no plumbing supply places, etc.

I live in New Jersey (South Jersey), and I tried going to my local plumbing
supply place this afternoon. It's one of those walk-up-counter-type
plumbing supply places where plumbers go and get what they need They don't
sell any Uponor/Wirsbo expander-type PEX tubing, parts, or tools. Two
plumbers there said that no plumbers that they know of use it. They said
they all use "regular" PEX with crimp rings. The plumbing supply store only
stocks Viega (used to be Vanguard) PEX, fittings, and tools or (for use with
the same Viega PEX tubing) stainless steel clamps and the tool for that.

Then I went online again and searched for plumbing supply stores in my area.
Only one even mentioned the brand Uponor (or Wirsbo -- apparently Uponor's
former name). I'm going to check out that one store in person tomorrow to
see what they say. None of the other plumbing supply places carry any
expansion-type PEX systems, tubing, tools, etc.

After seeing the PEXsupply.com video which said that almost all professional
plumbers use the Uponor/Wirsbo expander-type system and tools, I am stunned
to find that it is virtually impossible for me to find a place to buy the
stuff (except for online).

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on your journey.