Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Inverter microwave ovens - reliable?

In article , "hr(bob) " wrote:
On Mar 3, 2:47=A0pm, (GregS) wrote:
In article , fzab...@iinterno=

de.on.net wrote:
My brother's Panasonic model NN-ST756W inverter microwave oven failed
after one year, just out of warranty. I found a short circuited HV
diode, D702, UX-C2B. The associated 8200pF 3kV capacitor appears OK,
as do the inverter transistors.

The inverter PCB (240V version) is similar to the one in these service
manuals:

http://www.eletrodomesticosforum.com...as/Panasonic_N...
http://rc5.ru/upload/panasonic_mw_NN-C2000_(MWO).pdf

Here are several exploded views and parts lists:

http://www.prime-electronics.com.au/...l?brand=3DPA.=

oduct=3DMICROWAVE&model=3DNNST756W&view=3DOVEN%20 ASSY.jpg
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bre9kh

http://www.prime-electronics.com.au/.../frametest.asp...
ST756W&Submit=3DSearch&search=3Dsearch&Model=3DNN ST756W&Model1=3DNNST756=

W&Submit=3DS=ADearch
&search=3Dsearch&BRAND=3DPANASONIC&Model1=3DNNST7 56W&Submit=3DSearch&sea=

rch=3Dsearch=AD&PROD
UCT=3DMICROWAVE
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ahr8s8

I'm wondering if inverter microwaves are any less reliable than
traditional transformer/capacitor types. They seem to be overly
complicated for what they do. I understand that they cook more evenly
in low power modes as a consequence of not having to pulse on and off
like conventional microwaves, but I'd rather not pay a reliability
penalty for this feature. BTW, once the microwave is sitting on my
bench top, the extra weight of a traditional mains transformer is of
no consequence.

The Microwave Oven Repair FAQ appears to bear me out:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mi...tml#MICFAQ_019

- Franc Zabkar

I didn't know much about it. I bought one maybe 3 years ago. Small lightw=

eight,
and the most powerfull one I have ever had. I use it everyday. The only p=

roblem, the light
does not come on when you open the door. My brother uses one in a restura=

nt,
and they have failed after much use. That one the commercial job, costs a=

lot
more. Like I said, it small, powerfull, and cheap. My Sears GE microwave =

is
big, not nearly as powerfull, also has turbo oven, but I use the Panasoni=

to heat fast. By other brother has a Samsung which has failed. Replaced
diode and found the transformer is bad. After two months still waiting fo=

r transformer.

greg- Hide quoted text -

Maybe the reason the light does not come on is because it is burned
out.

The light comes on when its cooking. I usually carrry a flashlight so I can see the
condition of the food.

greg