Noel Hegan

Default Power tools in Europe (long)

"Simon" wrote in message ...
"James Reed" wrote in message
Do you have any experience using US tools and a transformer in europe?
With the transformer you can get the 220V but you only get 50 Hz, not
the 60 as in the US. I could imagine buying a US table saw, prewired
to 220V without the need for a transformer, but I am unsure how it
will work at 50 Hz.

I enquired about a JET model that is only available in the US (some JETs are
available in the UK) apparently you can't import them because it didn't
meet our safety standards.
About the only decent table saw I have found (without all the ridiculous
attachments that usually just give you bruises where you don't want bruises)
is the Sedgewick, it's about the only solid cast iron table saw I could find
that didn't come with a billion gimmicks and gadgets that you'd never use.

Importing US equipment is not a problem. Although most are not CE
certified providing they are used in a non commercial environment
Health & Safety regulations are not an issue. I got a tablesaw from
the States and for $100 Delta fitted a 60Hz motor. Most US machinery
has the option of re-wiring to 220V and it works a dream. Cast iron ,
stacked dado fitment and cost were my main considerations at the time.
Obviously there will never be tablesaw sold on the UK European market
that will take a dado kit but I see cast iron tablesaws slowly being
introduced here, Jet Supersaw, various Axminster offerings etc at
reasonable prices. £2,000 odd on a Sedgewick was way too much for my
needs.

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net