charlie b

Default Great Rocking Chair Maker URL

Anyone buy Hal's set of plans for five different sizes of
his rocker? The samples of pages of the plans don't
really give much of a feel for the level of detail in
the plans. If they include methods for making the joints
along with full size patterns for $55/chair plans seems
like a good deal. Could save a lot of trial and error
and be a very valuable source of specialized techniques.

As for the similarity to Sam Maloof rockers, the former's
rockers are "s" shaped, Hal's aren't. Hal's front legs/
armrest supports are inward "c's", Maloof's are straighter.
Maloof's seats are very low, Hal's are at a more traditional
height.

I'm sure Hal utilizes some of the joinery Sam Maloof used.
If you study oriental furniture joinery you'll see that
Maloof didn't invent the joining methods he uses.

Bottom line, we all build on the knowledge developed by
others. Occassionaly we think we "create" something new
but a little researching usually shows it's been done
many times before. There is very little new under the
sun.

charlie b