Posted to alt.home.repair
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default sump pump question

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:30:17 -0600, Bert Byfield
wrote:

It appears as though mine has decided to run 24/7. Anything it could
be that I might be able to take care of on my own, or should I just
bite the bullet and call for a plumber.

Fix or replace the switch.

First, check to see that the float is not just gummed up with tree
roots or mud or whatever. Have you checked to see if it still floats or
sinks with the water level, and won't shut off even with the float
hanging down?

Howdy,

About two years ago we had more than 18" of water in our
basement because of a "stuck float."

Now, we have two pumps each with a switch that has no moving
parts. The switches work like a charm.

Check http://www.washerwatcher.com/sump_watcher.htm

All the best,
--