Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default Defrost Issue - GE Artica

On Mar 3, 1:52*pm, "a12vman" wrote:
I started seeing rising temps in both the Fridge & Freezer.

I don't think the coils are defrosting properly. I took the icemaker,
shelves & coil panel out of the freezer, defrosted the coils with a
hairdryer Sunday night. Fridge is now down to 37 degrees and freezer is at
11 and still dropping.

I checked the freezer around 10:30 last night, it was in a defrost cycle.
The element was glowing. *When I looked at the coil this morning, the bottom
was completely defrosted whereas the top still had a heavy buildup of ice..

I am being told that this is a possible motherboard issue. Should I be
seeing a complete defrost of these coils on a daily basis?

Similar issues with same fridge a few months ago, still barely under
warranty. Temperatures used to shoot up and down 8 to 10 degrees every
few days. Technician replaced the controller board. It's been rock
solid since then. Tech said that GE has been having problems with the
controller, been replacing a lot of them. Given the cost of the
controller board, icemaker, etc for that fridge, ended up buying a 5
year service contract from them. The cost of one icemaker (according
to the tech) covers the cost of the contract for 5 years. With our
water here in AZ, we tend to go through icemakers fairly quickly.

Jerry