Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Carlyle-Clarke[_3_] John Carlyle-Clarke[_3_] is offline

Default Durgo valve (air admittance valve)

Rob G wrote:

On 3 Mar, 22:50, John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
I've omitted the rainwater drains for clarity/laziness.

You don't say whereabouts you are which is probably just as well given
that the rain water into your septic tank will be flushing raw sewage
(as said previously) into, in all likelihoods (1960's building), the
local water course. I would seriously consider getting that resolved
before the LA or other environmental organisation catch up with you
and hammer you for the pollution.

I should point out that your jibe about 1960 regs. certainly doesn't
hold in central Scotland where many septic tanks in rural districts
were installed in the 1920's and AFAIK rainwater into them was not
allowed then. I would suspect you're suffering from a cheapskate
build rather than a regulations weakness.

Thinking about it, I'm only going by the say-so of one builder, who
wasn't actually much good. Two rainwater drains *are* along the line of
the soilpipe, but I don't know if they go into it or into soakaways.
The other downpipes on the building do go to proper soakaways.

He suggested putting a new rainwater downpipe (created by the extension
he built 6 years ago) into the soil pipe after the BCO had signed off.
I didn't take his advice on that!

It's quite possible that he was wrong about the other two, as the
original build does seem to have been of generally good quality. Perhaps
I need to get an assistant to pour a bucket of water into one while I
watch under the inspection hatch on the tank and see if it does flow in.