Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ray Spinhirne Ray Spinhirne is offline

Default Hot Metal

This was in San Antonio at a local art location named "Sculptors Dominion".

It was actually my second time assisting with a pour. The women shown is
an art instructor and the real expert. If you noticed after the
first pour we did not have the sequence perfect as we poured the excess
back in the furnace before plugging the pour hole. The video was taken by

some bystander. I did not have any part in the editing.

We used resin bonded sand molds and spent considerable amount of time
getting the molds created. The open top one is going to be a lathe
faceplate.
I have started the maching on it and it looks like its going to be pretty
nice.

For the raw material I used mainly brake drums and rotors and the result
looks good so far. Perhaps someday I need to prepare an article on
"building machine tools from scrap auto parts".