Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_2_] Ecnerwal[_2_] is offline

Default Portable Line Boring

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

You're probably aware that you only have to bore that line very rough.
Portable align-honing equipment to finish the job will take out a lot of
metal these days, although you won't be able to take out the tens of
thousandths they get with fixed diamond honing machines.

No, I was not aware of that, though most of the web-links that come up
on align honing are about engine building and concerned with working to
tenths. I do find a few things more in the line of the work I'm doing.

Mind, for most of the stuff I'm doing, if I can press in a bushing
without deforming its inside surface too much, I don't have to get too
fussy about the bore finish.

And I freely admit (and would welcome enlightenment) that I don't have a
great understanding of honing - I've got one of those "three swivelling
stones on a spring spider" cylinder hones which I've used to reduce some
burrs in a hydraulic cylinder, but those seem to be dependent on having
a good round, straight hole to start with.

Something like this:

http://greatnecksaw.com/images/produ...arge/25041.jpg

These look somewhat different, though there's not enough detail to see
how the head works in terms of stone movement. I gather it might be
somewhat more controlled than the above type.

http://www.precitech.no/Finbearbeidi...20prtabelt.pdf